Thursday, January 11, 2007

So, I'm studying in a Conservatory...

Tuesday afternoon was our first trip to the Conservatoire de Strasbourg (to shorten it's full title). After some paperwork, we got a tour of the building (which is very new, and though the modern art construction is by no means ugly, it's maybe not the prettiest building in Strasbourg, expecially when there's a Gothic cathedral in the city center). I also met one of my percussion professors, and I kind of embarrased myself as he asked me to play for him and I haven't played in about a month...

In total, I will have four percussion professors. One for mallets (Monsieur Sejourne, the one I met on Tuesday), one for timpani, one for snare drum, and one for hand drums. I'm not sure if this means I'll have four lessons a week, because I still have to meet with the three other professors to set up times. I'm not sure now, though, how much I'll get to travel around Europe or if I'll be in an Orchestra. Hmph.

I'm really excited to be studying in the Conservatoire, though. It'll be hard, but the other percussionists seem nice, as far as I can tell, and it's a very international department. As M. Sejourne said, there are very few French percussionists. And I also discovered last night when I went to practice that most of them speak English, which is very good, as my musical French is kind of lacking. :)

And I have now started two of my four classes - Music History and Music Theory/Ear Training. I don't think that not coming from Syracuse will hinder me in these classes, which is what I was a little nervous about coming in. Next week, I'll register for all 4 of my classes (French, and a Communications class where I will get to interview people at the European Parliament as part of my assignments), and then, finally, I will have a set schedule. And lots of homework to keep me occupied...

No comments: