Friday, January 5, 2007

Last day in Paris and the beginning of Strasbourg

I am now in the Syracuse University Center in Strasbourg, connected to their wireless network. Yay!! However, before I get to everything Strasbourg related, I should finish Paris...

I have now finished my stay in Paris, and boy was it busy. Thursday I saw the Jardin du Luxembourg (Luxembourg Garden), the Pantheon, where all the "great men of the nation" are buried (men being in the collective sense, though Marie Curie is actually the only woman buried there), the Mosque in Paris, and then a trip to the Cite de la Musique, which had an entire exhibit on the history of intstruments in France. Sadly, there were no percussion instruments highlighted, but still the exhibition was AMAZING!!!! I didn't take any pictures, though, being in a museum and all... I met my friend Catherine for dessert Thursday night, and partially navigated the Paris Metro by myself. :)

On Friday, the list of sights consisted of Pere Lachaise cemetery (where Jim Morrison and Frederic Chopin are buried, along with about 1,000 other people), Sacre Coeur Basilica (built around 1870 as a way for France to reconnect with its Catholic roots, much less ornate than Notre Dame), Montmartre, and a backstage tour of the Bastille Opera (inaugurated on July 13, 1989, as part of France's Bicentennial celebrations), and a short visit to Notre Dame itself. Pictures from both days will follow on another post.

In all the craziness of sightseeing with this big group, I didn't get much of a feel for France itself. I do find that the Parisians,at least, are much more laid back than the Americans. Going out to eat takes twice as long, but I don't mind that at all - it's much more leisurely and the food is very good, even at a fairly inexpensive restaurant. Though I've decided saying "Bonjour" on the street is not done as often as it is in the States, that doesn't mean that the French are any less friendly.

In fact, this segways pretty well into my host family. Madame and Monsieur Olagne are both very nice and very welcoming. Alix, their 19-year-old daughter, is also very nice, and she is willing to talk to me at meal times despite my slow French. Lionel, their 17-year-old son, is also nice, but the two of us don't talk much. As my French improves, hopefully my communications with the family will improve as well.

I live about 10 minutes away in walking distance from the SU Center, which is an excellent way for me to burn off at least some of the calories from all the amazing French food I've been eating. One thing is certain - I will not starve at the Olagne's house. The apartment is very spacious, and I have my own room, which is about twice the size of my room at Wellesley last semester. It's also fully furnished (complete with hangers). My room has its own very small balcony which looks out onto the street below. That would be the only bad thing - I go to sleep with the sound of cars and ambulances passing by. But, as I live in the city, that's only to be expected.

I'm doing pretty well, all things considered. It's a little overwhelming, not being able to understand the language, but it's just a matter of time until my French improves (I hope). I speak almost entirely French at home, as does my host family, and that should help. Last night, I was able to call home, and I've watched 4 episodes of Alias (Season 5) in the last two nights. Anytime I can watch Sydney Bristow being her awesome spy-self always makes me feel better. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nancy, I love you! I miss you, but I'm so excited for you!

Anonymous said...

Yaye Nancy! Looks like you have a great situation with your family. I'm sure things will fall more into place once you've gotten a little more used to everything. If ever you need help for something or you just want an english break you know how to call me. Keep posting!