Wednesday, March 21, 2007

A Much More Relaxed Week

After such a busy break in Italy, I’ve had a little trouble getting back into the swing of things – though that usually happens to me after breaks. I hardly practiced at all last week (insert embarrassed face here)… Oops. This week has been better though, so that’s good. Less procrastination, more productivity.

Last weekend, on Saturday, was the second Alsace trip with Syracuse University. This one wasn’t quite as uplifting as the first one. For one thing, we didn’t go to any wine-tastings. However, the thing that contributed most to the non-uplifting atmosphere was our first stop in our trip. The thirty or so students on the trip went to Struthof, the only concentration camp in France. Though this was a small concentration camp, it really doesn’t take much to drive the point home. It was built to hold 1500 prisoners, so naturally as many as 7000 were piled in the camp. There is no way 7000 people fit comfortably in the camp, and walking around the camp and seeing everything there was an extremely powerful experience. Very difficult to see, but very important at the same time. According to one of the plaques, Struthof was the first concentration camp discovered by the American Allied forces. Thinking of that, and knowing that there are people still alive who fought in those American forces (my grandfather, for one), really humbled me. It also helped that the weather was beautiful for the entire week beforehand, and Saturday dawned cloudy and overcast. Also, Struthof is up on a mountain, exposed to the northern winds. It was extremely cold, but at least I had a jacket, unlike so many others who had stood on the same grounds. I’m glad I went, especially as I wasn’t sure I wanted to go on the trip originally, but I don’t think I need to visit a concentration camp again. Once was enough.

After Struthof, we went to Mt. Saint Odile for lunch, which was also very cold. Had it not been overcast, it would’ve been a beautiful view of Alsace, and all the surrounding towns. Unfortunately, it’s only possible to get there by car, so I’m not sure I’ll get to see said beautiful view. Once we were finished with lunch, we walked along the Pagan Wall, named such because it dates from the days when the Celts populated France, well before the Common Era. It was a very pretty bunch of rocks, and still amazingly intact for being as old as it is. We only walked along a part of the wall – I believe the whole wall is 10 km long, and covers the entire summit of the mountain it’s on. Pretty cool. We then got back on our bus (not the purple butterflies this time – it was sad), and traveled to Obernai, the same town I visited with Beth and friends at the beginning of Spring Break, and with my host parents the first Sunday I was here. So, instead of exploring the town, as I had already seen it twice, my friend Claire and I went and had tea and a pastry in a pâtisserie, where we could be warm. As Obernai was the last stop on our trip, we returned to Strasbourg after our visit to the town.

The Strasbourg Carnaval was scheduled for last Sunday (don’t ask me why it’s in the middle of Lent), so once we arrived in Strasbourg, Claire and I decided to check the costume shop and try to complete our Carnaval outfits. Fortunately, the shop was open, and as we were shopping Saturday evening, a little mini carnaval came through center city. We were both very excited, followed the parade around, and took lots of pictures. (They had marching drumsets!!! It was crazy – the whole set was mounted on a metal frame, which attached to something the players had on their waist, so as the player walked, he pushed the set in front of him. I’ve never seen that before…) Especially as we now had the masks to complete our ninja costumes, we were both looking forward to Carnaval the next day. After dinner and watching Treasure Planet at Claire’s house (I was craving Disney), I went out for St. Patrick’s Day. I found some friends at the Irish pub, but as it was already kind of late, and I was clearly the only sober person in the whole crowd of people there, I decided I didn’t need to stay out too late. It was fun, though, just to get the “pub atmosphere,” on probably one of the busiest nights for pubbing. Or at least, Irish pubbing.

Sunday again dawned not so pretty, but I had hopes that it would still be OK for Carnaval. Sadly, my hopes were unfounded. I changed into my ninja costume after church, met Claire in center city, and we soon found out that it was too windy and too rainy for Carnaval to take place. It does make sense, as there are people walking on stilts as part of Carnaval, and it’d be terrible for them to be knocked over. We were a little bummed, though, and there were lots of little kids in costumes that also didn’t seem to be too excited about the cancellation. We’re not sure if they’re rescheduling, though I heard at one point they might reschedule it for next weekend.

Next weekend, however, I won’t be able to attend a rescheduled Carnaval. Guess why? I’m going to ROME!!!!!! I’m super-duper excited. I’m hoping I’ll be able to see everything I want in the limited time I have – it’ll be a busy three days. I just couldn’t get enough of Italy, so now I’m going back to visit the city I’ve wanted to visit probably since I began studying Latin in 7th grade. Claire’s college choir is actually singing for Mass in the Vatican on Sunday, so we’re hoping to go hear them. (Read: I’m not traveling by myself this time. Yay!) We’re taking an overnight train tomorrow, which is a bit of a drag, but we’ll get to Rome early Friday morning, and will still have most of the day Friday to do sightseeing. Yipee!!! I can’t wait to go to Rome.

Oh, and I have other good news. I’m FINALLY in an ensemble at the Conservatoire. After sending three e-mails in the span of a week, my professor returned them, and I’ll be playing with a brass ensemble. The concert is on May 6th at the Conservatoire, if anyone’s interested in attending… (Just kidding. I’m not really expecting anyone to be there, though if I’m lucky maybe some family friends who live in Europe can make it, and I’m hoping my host family will come, but we’ll see.) I have no idea what pieces I’m playing – I know there are 2 other percussionists, and one part calls for chimes, but other than that, I’ll be sightreading at the first rehearsal next Monday. But now at least I can have my international percussion debut – kinda like I had my Carnegie Hall debut senior year with Westlake’s Wind Ensemble. I’m starting to have a nice percussion resume. :)

Strasbourg is truly wonderful. I love the city – just the right size, and I feel quite comfortable with the tram, the streets, and the way the city works in general. I’ve figured out all the kinks now, and am really enjoying just soaking up French life, at least as best I can. It still feels weird to me to have both hands on the table when I’m eating dinner, though it also feels weird to be the only one with one hand in my lap. I’ve become accustomed to life moving at a slower pace, though I still have some troubles filling my extra time. (Spider Solitaire sometimes does that for me…) I’ve also decided that for the rest of the semester, I am going to try a new pâtisserie every time I want a pastry. I doubt I’ll get to all the pastry shops in Strasbourg, but I can certainly try a good number. In this quest, I actually found a pain au chocolat (think croissant-type bread with a little chocolate in the middle) I didn’t like, which was sad, but that’s the experience. Everything also seems closer this side of Spring Break. I only have 8 weeks left in Strasbourg, and can’t decide if I’m more excited to return to the States or more sad to leave France. As it stands now, I wish I was here through June or July, but come the end of May, I may feel differently. I know I’m learning so much here, musically, academically, and culturally. I don’t think I’ll truly appreciate it until I have returned to the States and really see how different my life in France was. It’s amazing, though, and I am very happy to be here.

And, being in the middle of Western Europe as I am in Strasbourg, it means I can decide to go to Rome whenever I feel like it. :)

1 comment:

monica said...

it sounds like you're having an amazing time! i'm so jealous. and i wish you were still going to be in europe in june/july, because i'll be in spain in june, then paris for a couple days at the beginning of july, then 5 days in england! it would've been way cool to see you in europe, but i guess i'll have to settle for austin in august! i miss you!!